Theale Village Hall Minutes

This page contains the latest meeting minutes:

Minutes of Theale village hall Trustees meeting Tuesday 5th December 2023 at 8pm

In Theale village hall

Members Attending – Lisa Chittenden, Lesley Luke, Elizabeth Coulter, Bernard Coulter, Bill Woodroffe, David Neale, Dave Whitmarsh

Apologies – Sian Landers and Gail Millard

Item No Comments Action By Whom
1 Lisa opened the meeting with apologies from Sian and Gail    
2 Approval of minutes of previous meeting – Minutes of 17th Oct accepted and approved
3 Building and Orchard –

A.    Renovations update –

Bill reported back on the Bat survey which he helped with and the news is good, as, apart from a solitary bat which was seen, there does not appear to be any use of the buildings for bat roosts, which means no restrictions on any work done.It cost £1020.

Dave W read out his summary with costings and timings, please see below.

Lisa will speak to Jackie to find out when next WPC meeting is with the intention of presenting our proposals to enable the CIL grant to be applied for.

It was agreed that Dave will contact the builder and agree a start

Check with Jackie re date next WPC meeting

Contact Builder re start

Lisa

Dave W

4                                     Chairman Report

a.     Lease update -Nothing new, Richard Neale and Lisa still  chasing!

b.     A question was raised following the architect invoice re VAT and David N has researched the subject and is sure that we should be exempt, and in particular building work so he will investigate further.

c.     Lesley drew attention to possible grants from the National lottery, which was discussed at the recent SCC conference. She also pointed out that we need to ensure we have given the local community a chance to say what they think re our plans. We plan to hold a meeting on Tuesday 23rdJanuary at 7.00 pm, Lisa will advertise to the village.

Check VAT requirement

Public meet 23/1/24

Dave N

Lisa to notify village

5 Finance

A.    David explained that as agreed we keep a contingency of £5000 and that is now approaching £6000 but at the start of the new year there are several large bills which will need paying e.g Insurance, fire extinguishers servicing etc. With the fund raising events already held and yet to happen the financial situation is looking sound, possibly allowing some funds to be transferred to the project funds later in the year.

B.    Lisa explained that she has been looking at grants that we might be eligible for, in particular The heritage fund, The Somerset fund and now the National lottery. Elizabeth explained that she was slightly unsure about the £200 grant given to bring “Good Cheer” to older members of our community but that it would help to fund refreshments at the Carols in the orchard and also a free drink for people attending the Green Man.

C.     Ted Hatch has kindly donated a rooted Christmas tree to be planted in the orchard, but initially as it is in a pot it can be used in the hall this year.

.6 Communications and community engagement

a.     Newsletter – Lesley explained that she had managed to get the newsletter finished and distribution had been started at the time of this meeting. Lisa explained that Gill Crane has volunteered to take over the Newsletter from about March/April onwards which will be very helpful.

b.     Update re website – Still waiting for PB to solve problems with the website.

Check with PB re Website

Lesley

7 Governance

Lisa has checked and thinks all policies have been written they just need to be passed to Lesley for storage and publication on Website (See above) Need to finalise for Hallmark application

Collate and store policies

Lisa

/Lesley

8 AOB

Lisa explained that She and Lesley are meeting the new Hall cleaner later in the week, she prefers to do 2 hours every other week at £10 an hour. It was also agreed that the cleaner should keep track of cleaning consumables and deal with David N re costs.David pointed out that he thinks it is more like £20 so L & L will clarify at their meeting!

Bernard explained that he will organise the Wassail on Friday 19th January at 6.00 with the folk club following on from it.

Dave talked about a discussion he had with Blackford village hall chair reCollaborating and communicating so that we don’t clash with each other and he will let them know about our Christmas events and the Wassail.

Bill explained that he has spoken with Ken about a service that was needed for the mower at a cost of £668, Anne B has kindly volunteered to pay half the cost.

Dave W explained that we should have thermal images of before and after any work done in order to prove that we are making a difference.He is happy to contact WPC who have access to the equipment needed to take the images.In addition Dave suggested we create large posters explaining progress made in renovating the hall on a monthly basis, which can be displayed on the notice board opposite the hall. Dave also pointed out that he is struggling to raise the full rental costs when the hall is used for table tennis, but all moneys raised is paid to the hall, the committee understood and are happy with the situation.

Take Thermal images using WPC equipment

Dave W

9 Date of Next Meeting

Tuesday 6th Feb, 8.00 in Village Hall

 

 

Overall summary of proposed works for Theale Village Hall

4/12/23

Decisions taken have been driven by the age and construction of the building. The problems with the floor and ceiling show the problems of damp. Because of this the hall will not achieve modern levels of comfort with these plans but by working with instead of against the building we should be able to get significant improvements. The main feature of this is returning the building to be a breathable structure. A specialist company Ty-Mawr was consulted and gave us a better understanding of the problems along with some sympathetic improvements which we can undertake:

Our proposals are as follows:

Phase 1 Main roof: strip existing tiles, battens and felt. Replace tiles and battens and add breathable insulation above and between the rafters. Costs still to be confirmed for these materials.

Costs of £25400 have been quoted for conventional materials.  In addition, a further £2000 should be allocated for scaffolding and £1200 to remove and refit Solar Panels.

TOTAL £32400 for conventional materials. Note It is also suggested that contractor for phase 1 makes an inspection of the floor to inform decision on phase 3. No costing has been made for this. Similarly, they may be able to carry out clearance and wall insulation of the kitchen.

Phase 2 Barn Roof: Strip existing tiles, copings, and ridge tiles, Install additional roof support which s sympathetic to the building. Raise and replace existing lintel removing failed stonework above.

TOTAL £6400 (Not this could be carried out alongside the main roof or earlier as we have some grant money specifically for this).

Phase 3 Remove flooring in main hall either (subject to inspection and further advice) use non compressed Glapor breathable insulation under existing floor joists and replace with new floorboards or revert to compressed Glapor and Limecrete slab.

Total Estimate at £16000 (still waiting on results of floor survey). if we have to go to Limecrete and compressed Glapor this will cost £26384.

Phase 4: Empty Kitchen appliances, insulate walls and replaster, insulate ceiling boards and replaster Fit new appliances, redecorate. New electrics in kitchen (£3000) and fit new kitchen It would probably make sense to do this work at the same time as the roof as we will have a contractor on-site with labour to make this happen. Quote for kitchen appliances plus fitting £23000. If we buy appliances only and get the Electrician at additional cost to fit we can do it all new from Nisbets at a cost of £12542.88   similarly some of the items (tables cupboards etc.) could be sourced as used items from H2products in Bridgwater although electrical items should be purchased new.

Total Estimate: £10000 for items plus £3000 for Electrics to fit + estimate of £2000 to insulate the south wall.

Phase 5: Rewire Kitchen and hall, Tidy up cabling and control boxes. Only one quote so far for the  hall, £5965 + £3000 for the kitchen.

Phase 6: Replace old light emitting heaters with more modern and efficient “dark Infrared” at a cost of £8080 plus fitting estimated at an on cost of £2000 if included in the General upgrade.

Note we are still awaiting finalised “Bat Report” which may influence some decisions and costs regarding roof and ceiling renovations. Some of the above figures are estimates, but all figures under current economic pressures will need a sizeable contingency (see SCC visit report)

All figures include VAT where applicable.

Bill & Dave

 

Minutes of Theale village hall Trustees meeting Tuesday 17th October 2023 at 8pm

In Theale village hall

Members Attending – Lisa Chittenden, Sian Landers, Lesley Luke, Elizabeth Coulter, Bernard Coulter, Bill Woodroffe

Apologies – David Neale, Dave Whitmarsh, Gail Millard and Andy Reeson

Item No Comments Action By Whom
1 Lisa opened the meeting with apologies from David Neale, Dave Whitmarsh, Andy Reason and Gail Millard    
2 Approval of minutes of previous meeting –

accepted and approved

3 Building and Orchard –

a.     Architect ideas for the hall- Bill explained that he and Lisa had had a constructive meeting with B2, they had recognised their error but were happy to proceed with the revised figure of £50,000, in a phased manageable plan.Bill had to chase again and Emma delivered a new rather basic drawing on the day of our meeting.From that Bill can list about 10 items that we can get quotes for now.Bill will give names to Dave Whitmarsh to chase up quotes, starting with flooring and sub strate, then roof stripping back insulating and re-tiling, new kitchen, rewiring(meeting with Bernard, Phil B and Electrician on Thursday 19th), New heating-probably infra red, reconfigure of disabled toilet,new store room at back/front of hall and lastly the new entry lobby area.In addition the renovation of the barn to include structural repairs and new roof and hopefully new link from back of building to the orchard.

Committee were generally disappointed with what B2 have produced.

There followed a discussion as to the order in which the projects should be undertaken and general consensus was that the roof was priority.

Bill explained that a bat survey has been undertaken by a qualified person and an ecologist who will write a report before any work is done.It may be possible to maintain a bat roost above the ceiling in the meeting room when the work is done.

Bill will pass all info to Dave Whitmarsh in order for him to raise quotes for all the aspects we are hoping to cover.

Bill also talked about Pete Brown who has raised considerable monies for other causes and hopefully we can meet with him with a view to doing similar for the village hall.

b.     Kitchen update – Lesley explained that Vision kitchens have given us a quote for £33,000 but it includes some items which we would not require, and with that in mind she had come to a figure of £23000 + VAT . Lesley explained that this quote is just a starting point and we can consider second hand for the stainless steel trolleys, cupboards and sinks however it was felt that electrical appliances should be new to ensure Warranties etc.Lesley will forward the email including quote and design from Vision kitchens to all committee members.

c.     Community meeting – It was decided that a WhatsApp message to the village will be written by Sian and Bill summarising what has been done so far and we will hold a community meeting in the new year.

Pass information to Dave W

Lesley to forward email from Vision kitchens

Post message on Village WhatsApp

BW

LL

Sian

4                                     Chairman Report

Lease update – There is still no completion on the lease and Lisa is continuing to communicate with the diocese.

5                             Finance

A.    David explained that there is little to report on monthly accounts. He applauded the results of the fund raising achieved by Hazel Hudson’s talk. Bernard commented on the next talk which is by Tony Chau and his concerns about ticket sales.

David explained that this has contributed to a £310 surplus for the first 9 months of the year.

B.    Grants – CIL Lisa is in talks and will show WPC that we have one quote and are seeking 2 further quotes. B2 has pointed out that there may be grants to reconfigure the disabled toilet. Sian explained that CCS is hosting a conference on Nov 6thwhich will cover information about grants and she felt we should be represented , Lisa and Lesley agreed to attend.

Lisa explained that we can apply for grant of £400 to reduce loneliness and spread Warmth and Cheer during festive season which would fund the carols in the orchard

C.     Fundraising – Sian explained that we have Theale’N’groovy in November, and Bernard hopes to stage a Christmas review, plus the two talks arranged.Green man on 14th December, Hope to do Wassail in January.

Liaise with WPC

Lisa

.6                   Communications and community engagement

A.     Newsletter – Sian and Lesley still working on it, hopefully before Dec meeting.

B.    Update re website and posting minutes – Lesley still to meet with Phil B as technical issues.

S & L

L

7 Governance – No update at present
8 AOB Plaque for Dave Bodley’s bench , Bill would like to carve a short memorial directly on the bench

David explained he has filed information on Charities commission and feels that it is not necessary to list all committee members as trustees.

David explained he needs to find a new auditor as Dave Whitmarsh, who was the auditor last year, is now a committee member

 Carve Bench BW
9 Date of Next Meeting

Tuesday 5th December, 8pm in Village Hall

 

Minutes of Theale village hall Trustees meeting Tuesday 12 th September 2023 at 8pm

In Theale village hall

Members Attending – Lisa Chittenden, Sian Landers,     Lesley Luke, Elizabeth Coulter, Bernard Coulter, Bill Woodroffe, Gail Millard

Apologies – David Neale, Dave Whitmarsh and Andy Reeson

Item No Comments Action By Whom
1 Lisa opened the meeting welcoming Gail Millard as a new committee member and Stef from B2 Architects    
2 Approval of minutes of previous meeting – EGM & July

Minutes from July meeting and EGM were accepted and approved

3 Building and Orchard –

Steph presented the proposed options for the renovation of the village hall, followed by considerable discussion at the end of which it became apparent that there had been a misunderstanding with regard to the figures of expected finance for the project and it was left that Steph would go away and engage a Quantity Surveyor to give us an idea of actual cost, hopefully in time for our next meeting.

Kitchen update – Lesley has spoken to Vision Kitchens and they have drawn a suggested plan based on our requirements but without costings, Lesley will ask for a quote based on the proposed plans.

Orchard Maintenance- Lesley had spoken to Ken Graham who has bought a tool for gathering fallen apples, cost £35 are we happy to reimburse?

QS engaged

QUOTE

B2 ARCHITECTS

LESLEY/VISION

4                                     Chairman Report

Lease update -Nothing new, Richard Neale still chasing!

5 Finance

a.     David Neale has sent his report, main concern that fund raising is imperative.

b.     Lisa has researched a list of possible grants that we can apply for, including the CIL grant, she noted that in a number of them they require the Hallmark to have been applied for.Lisa is intending to pursue level 1, but can only apply in the new year. She mentioned the Somerset fund and it was agreed that we could apply for funding For a new oven.

c.     Fundraising – Sian thanked Bernard for organising two speaker events in Oct/Nov and also the Halloween Disco beginning of November, organised by committee.

Apply for Hallmark level1

Apply to Somerset fund for oven

Lisa

Lisa

.6 Communications and community engagement

a.     Newsletter – Sian and Lesley are currently getting to grips with the technical aspect and hope to produce the finish copy sometime in the Autumn. Distribution lists and volunteers will need to be revised.

b.     Update re website – Lesley has tried to add EGM minutes but she encountered problems and is now waiting for PB to get back to her.

Newsletter

Website

Sian /Lesley

PB/LL

7 Governance

Sian explained that she is half way through writing 2 more policies, one is Zero tolerance, and she will go back to it and also Lisa and she will revisit original list of policies needed.

Policy

Writing

Sian/Lisa

8 AOB

Lesley drew attention to the minor problem with very small piece of mortar falling out over entrance doorway.

Sian concerned about the matter of the fig tree in the orchard

Bill has been asked to hire out the bar again to someone from Godney, suggest £50 charge.

Bill pointed out that the gauze backdrop blocks light when people are playing table tennis, can it be removed and stored elsewhere?

Bernard commented on the untidy/dirty state of hall and it was agreed that if Janet Neal’s cleaner is happy to do it then we should  give her the go ahead.

Gauze removal

Bernard/Bill

9 Date of Next Meeting

Tuesday 17th October in Village Hall

 

Minutes of Theale village hall Trustees meeting Tuesday 4th July 2023 at 8pm

In Theale village hall

Members Attending – Elected members -Lisa Chittenden, David Neale and Lesley Luke

Co-opted members – Bernard and Elizabeth Coulter, Bill Woodroffe

Item No Comments Action By Whom
1 Welcome and apologies – Sian Landers and Andy Reeson    
2 Approval of minutes of last meeting – David requested that copies of the legal documents pertaining to the orchard be requested from the solicitors(Update – David Neale received docs day after meeting)

DN suggested a sub committee to look at possible grant applications – Lisa, David and possibly Elizabeth

David explained that The community grant of £600 From Somerset community foundation for operating  costs can be used for cleaning costs,fencing and maintenance of the orchard

David also explained that he will need to register all committee members as trustees with the Charity commission, some discussion followed

Ask for legal docs Lesley
3 Chairman’s reportEGM – discussion about the lack of response from WPC possibly causing EGM to be postponed.

It was decided to wait until the end of the week in the hope that a response will be received. As Andy Reeson was not present Lisa or Elizabeth expected to contact Jackie F again.

Lease update – still awaiting Diocese , Richard Neill continuing to press for progress.

Grants – CIL, Lisa has spoken to Alistair at WPC and explained that quotes for electrical rewiring and kitchen refurb will be submitted to apply for the grant.

Postcode lottery grant unsuccessful

Sedgemoor – £250 for bike racks pending

Policies – 7 completed, 13 to be completed

Community communication – Newsletter to be organised by Sian and Lesley

Contact WPC to ask again for response to our letter

Quotes for Kitchen and electrics

Newsletter

Lisa/Elizabeth

Lesley and Bill

Sian and Lisa

4 Finance.David explained that we need to have some solid plans for fund raising in the next half of the year

He explained that Octopus have not taken the direct debit since March

See attached copy of report and accounts

Grants – See above.   Suggested that a sub committee be set up to look at possible grants

Set up Sub committee

Lisa and David +another?

5 Building & OrchardLease update – See above

Building – Bill has had a meeting with an electrician who has agreed to give a quote for rewire of hall and he estimated between £2000 and £3000 for kitchen rewire

Bill has contacted Emma(Architect) to try and move things on but probably not going to hear until September and as she is proposing to look at the whole project we are somewhat hindered, apart from electrics and kitchen , in moving on.

Lesley talked about possible changes to kitchen eg Hatch and more light, maybe VELUX window? She has costed for all possible appliances at £12700 rough estimate.There are companies who will design and install commercial kitchens, it was agreed that Lesley would contact them to find out cost etc.

Lisa suggested 4 phases starting in Autumn

1 Rewire/refurb kitchen

2Windows

3 Roof ?Spring 24

4. Floor/walls next Autumn

The only reservation concerned the roof should that come first, but we need Emma to do survey before any decision is made.

Ideally an eighteen month time frame

Bill feels we need someone to do the leg work, getting builders and quotes etc. he feels unable to commit to it himself due to his own personal commitments.

Dave Whitmarsh was suggested as someone who might be able to do the job and David Neale will approach him. Bill will ask Emma if she could possibly do the roof survey ASAP so that we can proceed with that part of the project.

Orchard – Bill is meeting someone to install gate at boundary with Anne’s land. The type of boundary which Anne would prefer is a laid hedge, but that is a job for the winter to be discussed at future meeting.Bernard mentioned a talk about hedges given by Green Wedmore, might be possible to ask their advice.Possibly Wedmore solar power might give a grant?Vanessa may know, Elizabeth to ask her

Bill mentioned the bench that has been donated by Anne and could we get a plaque for it, LL suggested one on the wall and Lisa thought do both , Lesley to research. Orchard to be called Bodley’s orchard. It was suggested carving into the stone would be good and Elizabeth mentioned apprentice stone masons from Wells cathedral, Scott Dawkins was a source of the info

Contact Kitchen companies

Contact Dave Whitmarsh

Contact Emma re roof survey

Approach Vanessa re hedges and grants

Plaques

Ask Scott about Stone masons

LL

DN

BW

Elizabeth

LL

Elizabeth to ask Scott

6 Communication and Community engagementNewsletter – on hold as Lisa poorly and Lesley tied up with family at the moment.

Uploading docs to website – PB has started ball rolling , but LL tried unsuccessfully to activate and will speak to him when back from Hols.

Newsletter

Website

Lesley/Sian

LL to speak to PB

7 GovernanceWe need a reserves policy and it was suggested £5000 to cover 6 months of running costs. As a result we have approximately £3000 in excess at the moment

Lesley raised the issue of a professional cleaner and DN explained that the cost could come out of the £600 allotted from a grant for running costs, BW has spoken to his cleaner and she is happy to take the job, starting in September possibly.

Bill to liaise with his cleaner

BW

8 AOBBernard explained that he had some ideas for activities/fund raisers- Hazel Hudson talking about some different stories and Geoff Dickson talking about the defence of Wells should the Germans invade! Also Tony Chau might talk about “Tips for photography”. He also wondered if Simon Armitage (poet laureate) might be interested in playing in our small folk club as he was seen on TV talking about such a thing!So they emailed him and his agent has responded, so no harm in trying!!The players may also do a review coming up to Christmas! Elizabeth also suggested a murder mystery night.Lisa suggested a Halloween disco if Sian agrees.Lesley questioned whether people are still contributing on a regular basis and David explained that its about £70 a month, might be good to push harder for more people to sign up!
9 Date of next meetingTuesday 1st August at 8.00 pm

 

Treasurers Report 4th July

2023

Attached is the monthly income and expenditure account for the year to June 2023. Please note the following:

  1. It has been a quiet month, ending with free cash of E8,797. I would now like to see plans for fund raising activity in the second half of the year, with ambition to exceed the cÉ600, made in the first half. From this level of free cash cE1,600 has been allocated towards the kitchen refit. The agenda will cover discussion of a cash reserves policy, and I see from the minutes that E5,OOO was proposed. You would expect me to be cautious, and I would be happier with at least E6,OOO.
  2. The Table Tennis Club has made a total contribution for hall hire of E235, for the first half of the year. I nice new income stream.
  3. The transfer of electricity supplier to Octopus legally took place in January, but we remained on the Bulb billing system until March, at which time we had accumulated a modest overpayment. Octopus has yet to collect any direct money from TVH. It seems that they will update our account as of 30 June, and I have provided meter readings as of that date. Therefore, there will be a catch up payment due in the near future. I am not making confusing accruals in the accounts, and will manually flex expenditure on electricity by amending monthly direct debit payments to Octopus.
  4. I can quickly produce a cash flow forecast when there is clarity on the above.

Thant’s all from me.

David Neale

2 July 2023

Theale village hall committee AGM minutes

 Wednesday 12thApril 2023

Present : Lesley Luke, Lisa Chittenden, Sian Landers, David Neale, Bill Woodroffe, Bernard Coulter, Elizabeth Coulter, Shaun Thorogood plus Theale, Bagley and Mudgley villagers

Apologies:   None

Comments Action
1

2Introduction : Lisa welcomed and thanked everyone and explained the purpose of the meeting as well as notifying the meeting that a sound recording was be made in order for Lesley, the Secretary, to record the minutes after the meeting.

Chairman’s report: Lisa explained that there were copies of her report available but she would just give a summary.

A new committee elected in 2022 , it was recognised a stricter governance structure was needed and work was started on implementing that.

Due to Covid restrictions resulting in loss of letting revenue there were financial challenges which will be covered in Treasurers report.

There were legal issues regarding extension of the lease and it is still in process, currently with Diocese solicitors.

The orchard has been gifted to the village hall charity this year by Anne Bodley.

An events committee was created with the sole purpose of fund raising for the hall.

With Shaun Thorogood’s assistance a number of grants have been acquired as listed on the attached report

There have been difficulties in terms of personalities, this is covered later in the meeting.

3Treasurer’s Report

David reiterated the problems resulting from the Covid pandemic, and the expectation that costs were going to rise quite rapidly.

First task was to start management of accounts, including forecasting cash flow etc., which proved useful in predicting in late summer that the reserves may drop from £9000 to approx £3000 by the end of year, which if the situation continued could have resulted in the hall being closed.Decisions had to be made to curtail capital expenditure – £2000 for Dishwasher and £1000 for fencing were put on hold.

Five years of rate demands amounting to £9000 were presented during 2022, but because of our charitable status this was reduced by 80% which left the remaining £1600 outstanding. Luckily due to very helpful staff at Sedgemoor council we were eventually told we owed nothing!

By the end of the year we actually ended up with £8800, thanks to events£800 approx and the Green man revenue of approx £600.

David, after considerable work, has managed to get online banking sorted this year which has made things a lot easier.

Thanks also to those who have signed up to pay a monthly donation to the running costs, approx £40 a month.

Major cost which has increased is Electricity, but hopefully as regular meter readings are now taken this can be more accurately monitored.

A question was raised by a villager regarding Covid relief given to other village halls. Shaun Thorogood explained that the previous committee had applied but were rejected on the grounds they were not paying business rates.
4Election of committee members

Lisa explained the structure of the committee before reading out a statement from all of the current committee apart from the Wedmore Parish Council representative. A copy is attached at the end of the minutes.

Following on Lisa opened the floor to questions

Ted Hatch spoke of his disappointment in finding that WPC rep has caused considerable upset among the committee and hoped that said rep might continue but “under supervision”

Shaun Thorogood then read his statement. He wanted to explain all of his personal achievements and stated that the committee was opposed to various things. During his statement he said that the meeting was not advertised in various ways and he requested that be minuted.

Various members of the village raised their hands to talk, Anthony Lamb asked why Shaun was only allowed 5minutes to speak, Lisa explained that due to time constrictions it was in order to allow others to have their say.

The vice chair of WPC asked why the committee had rejected a meeting with Somerset Community council. Lisa explained that previously meetings had been held with the WPC rep but the committee felt that there was no resolution and mediation would expect an outcome whereby the rep would still expect to work with the committee, but they could not countenance that.Another member of the village explained that she felt mediation would have helped to resolve the issue but David and Sian supported what Lisa had said and again rejected any plan for mediation.

There followed further discussion with various villagers questioning the committee as to possible solutions, sadly it was pointed out by the committee members that as things stand with the WPC rep still in post they would not be able to withdraw their resignations.

Questions were asked about the possibility of a new WPC rep being requested but it was explained by Lisa that the committee has made the request and the Chair of WPC maintained that there is no other councillor  able to take the role.

Phil Butterworth proposed that the committee continue while making representation to WPC for a new rep and it was seconded by Molly Rossiter, however the committee again explained that the request had been made to no avail and so the resignations stand.There was further discussion and it was suggested that the committee continue on the condition that WPC rep step aside for at least 3 months in order to enable the WPC to find another rep,  Shaun tried to accept with conditions, but the Proposer, Phil B, stipulated no conditions.

Lisa reiterated that the proposal “that the committee continue in post for the next 3 months and Shaun Thorogood will step aside until a SGM is called in three months time,” has been carried by 30 votes.

The meeting was then closed

5Date of SGM 12/7/23

Chairman’s report:

THEALE VILLAGE HALL AGM 2023

12 April 2023

 

CHAIRMAN REPORT 2023

  • Governance Structure Update
    1. Financial governance and monthly monitoring introduced – David Neale to provide detail
    2. Ongoing challenge to meet costs based upon secure income
    3. Increase of rental rate to £10 per hour to support cost challenge
    4. Introduction of Governance Policies for Hall Management:Risk Register, Financial Management, Events Management, etc
    5. Implementation of centralised documentation for all meeting minutes, policies, etc
  • Legal Responsibilities
    1. Audited Accounts – completed – see Finance report
    2. 4 x Trustee roles in place
    3. Insurances;Public Liability, Building, etc  in place
    4. Lease Update -in progress pending Diocese redraft (again !)
    5. Orchard ownership -in progress – Shaun to update
  • Community Support
    1. Creation of Events Committee to organise events with purpose of fund raising
    2. Events have included:Summer Party, Disco
    3. Multiple new events booked from community;table tennis, private birthday parties, talks, etc
    4. Ongoing support from Folk Club, Film Club, Green Man, Theale Show
  • Funding
    1. Income as per audited accounts
    2. Costs as per audited accounts
    3. Grant Successes- Shaun Thorogood to provide detail
      1. £41k from Sedgemoor District Council
      2. £5kWedmore Energy
  • £1k Wedmore Beer Fesitval
  1. £600 Somerset Cost of Living Support
  1. Grants ringfenced for Hall renovation and Cost of Living
  • Committee Members
    1. New Committee in April 2022
    2. All but 1 member to step down April 2023
    3. Committee relationships broken down in 2023

Statement

  • After initial successes post Covid, (such as setting up of governance structures; online banking; revaluate of property insurance; grant applications; introduction of Village Hall newsletter; many social events and clean up days) it has become clear that the collective committee is unable to work with the WPC representative to fulfil the needs of the management of this beautiful community space.
  • The Theale lease includes our constitution which states it is the responsibility of the WPC to offer a councillor – despite approaching the WPC to provide an alternative representative this has not been forthcoming.
  • The current situation has stalled all proactive work pending resolution.
  • The WPC representative is to be thanked for his contribution towards the upkeep and restoration of the Hall which entailed a huge amount of work. However, he continues to operate independently of the overall committee and act without ratification of his proposed actions, towards a vision that is not representative of the committee. This has led to financial vulnerability for the trustees and considerable upset within the committee and now in the village community.
  • The current committee are a strong, diverse group of individuals with differing skill-sets who work well together and are keen to continue their responsibilities. However, they are unable to do so with the residing WPC representative. In stepping down, new events will need to be found to ensure our village community remains strong and vibrant and ongoing funding is secure, as current regular events such as Green Man and Folk Club will obviously end.
  • If a new committee is elected, we leave with deep regret but wish them good luck in building on successes achieved so far.


Treasurers report

INDEPENDENT EXAMINERS REPORT TO THE TRUSTEES OF THEALE VILLAGE HALL

I report on the accounts of the Charity for the Year Ended 31 st December 2022.

Respective responsibilities of trustees and examiner

As the Charity’s trustees you are responsible for the preparation of the accounts, you consider that the audit requirement of Section 43 (2) of the Charity’s Act J.M (The Act) dose not apply. It is my responsibility to state, on the basis of procedures specified in the General Directions given by the Charity Commissioners under section 43(7)b of the Act, whether particular matters have come to my attention.

Basis of independent examiners report.

My examination was carried out in accordance with the General Directions given by the Charity Commissioners. An examination includes a review of the accounting records kept by the charity and a comparison of the accounts presented with those records. It also includes consideration of any unusual items or disclosures in the accounts, and seeking explanations from you as trustees concerning any such matters. The procedures undertaken do not provide all the evidence that would be required in an audit, and consequently I do not express an opinion on the view given in the accounts.

Independent examiners statement

In connection with my examination, no matter has come to my attention:

  • which gives me reasonable cause to believe that in any material respect the requirements
    • to keep accounting records in accordance with Section 41 of the Act and
    • to prepare accounts which accord with the accounting records and to comply with the accounting requirements of the Act

have not been met, or

  • to which, in opini n atte ion should be drawn in order to enable a proper understandin of e c un to be reached.

       Name                                                                       Date

Address

Scroll to Top